Let's understand the difference between Exit rate and bounce rate. During a session if the visitor views multiple pages and leaves at a certain point will contribute to Exit rate. If the visitor leaves the page as soon as after landing on the page without pageviews will contribute to Bounce rate. Page exit of any form, including bounce rate criteria, will be used to compute the page exit and reversal is not true.
|Leave a Website?|
1) Bad Navigation one of the main reason why a visitor leave your website. Visitor often confuse how to find the related content or unable to identify the links to your important sections due to bad navigation. Group all the important links of your website and place them in main menu and don't bury the links into the content.
2) Too Many Ads may cause the website visitor leave your website which often causes to page exit and bounce rate as well. This occurs by clicking on the ad or annoyed to see too many ads and unable to find relevant content or important links to other sections of the site, what the visitor is looking for.
3) Good Content structure often helps website to increase the sales or conversions as it will provide the useful content readily available for visitors to consume and make decisions. On the other hand, bad structure makes the visitor leave the page and come back due to poor user experience and hard to find what they want.
4) Obstrusive use of video and audio content which pops-out displays automatically, while the user is interested in some other section/content of the website.
5) Mandatory registration or forms to fill before the visitor land on your page may contribute to high bounce/Exit rate.
6) Keep the content fresh and new along with balanced mix of colors (Don't use contrasting colors), proper grammar, images and typos to decrease the page exits and these are very simple reasons most important visitors will never come back.
7) Boring content & design make 40% of the visitors never comes back once they leave the website with negative experience which will directly impact your visitor loyalty. Always make sure your site has utility and easy to find what visitors wanted.